Turmvilla scenario

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Fri Oct 30 11:49:39 CET 2015

Hi Vincent,

On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 04:50:32PM +0800, Vincent Digital wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the previous Turmvilla scenario, I wish to setup two virtualbox
> sessions, one running LInux process and the other running Windows,
> concurrently. I created a new Win7 subsystem, emulating the LInux
> subsystem, with new vm_win7.vdi.
>
> However, I could startup only one of each sessions from NOUX, either
> Windows or Linux, but not both sessions at the same time. From CLI monitor,
> I could see that RAM is allocated separately for both sessions. I suspect
> some concurrency issue but could not find the issue.
>
> I've attached the log from captured from NOUX.

What puzzles me in your log is the following

342: [cli_monitor -> linux -> vbox] EMT-0    PDMR3ThreadSuspend -> rc=VERR_TIMEOUT enmState=2 suspending 'nic_thread'
343: [cli_monitor -> linux -> vbox] PDMR3ThreadSuspend -> rc=VERR_TIMEOUT enmState=2 suspending 'nic_thread'

Could you please disable networking like follows in both vbox
configurations and retry?

- <Adapter slot="0" enabled="true" MACAddress="0800271D7901" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM">
+ <Adapter slot="0" enabled="false" MACAddress="0800271D7901" cable="true" speed="0" type="82540EM">

In the log, win7 vbox appears only after the assertion in linux vbox.
Currently, I've no idea why win7 gets stuck in the middle of
initialization. Later in the log, there's another try to start linux
vbox if I'm not mistaken, which also did not succeed.

It may also matter if the base services incl. core and NOVA log some
diagnostics in the time span of the multiple vbox startup. Could you
please check the serial log for suspicious messages?

> Another issue I encountered is that the virtual box mouse pointer in the
> WIndows session and the Nitpicker mouse pointer can't seem to merge
> together unlike the Linux session where both pointers are merged.

I suspect your Windows installation is missing the VirtualBox guest
tools. In this case, the guest draws a software mouse pointer into the
framebuffer which often appears not in sync with the Nitpicker
pointer. So, after the guest tools are installed the Windows pointer
will disappear. Looking at

  https://github.com/nfeske/genode/blob/turmvilla/repos/gems/run/turmvilla.run

I also expect the mouse-pointer integration for win7 will work out of
the box and the shape will be reported from the Windows guest to
vbox_pointer.

Christian Helmuth