genode bare hardware on the odroids - howto?

Mon Oct 19 14:41:34 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 10/14/2015 07:17 AM, Suriyan Ramasami wrote:
> Hello wonderful people!
>     Greetings and thanks for the awesome work with genode.
>
>    I have been trying to run genode on bare hardware on the odroids ->
> odroid-x2/odroid-xu for which I presume - they are already supported (the
> release notes mention them).
>     What is missing is a step by step guide of building say, nested_init or
> a simpler printf application which shows some output when run from the
> uboot prompt.
>
>     I tried following the instructions as mentioned in
> http://genode.org/documentation/platforms/hw (it generates an elf file, but
> then passing RUN_OPT="--target uboot" did not create the uImage file. Well,
> I did convert the elf to a bin file with objcopy and then converted that to
> an uImage file with mkimage. Am not sure if that is correct.

Passing RUN_OPT settings via the shell environment is obsolet, as well
as the "--target uboot" expression. Instead please add:

  RUN_OPT += --include image/uboot

into your 'etc/build.conf' within your build directory. After triggering
a run-script e.g. 'make run/foo' an u-boot image 'var/run/foo/uImage'
will be created as result. You can transfer it by using u-boot via
sd-card, or network into the memory of your device, and finally load it
via u-boot's 'bootm' command.

BTW. the most useful documentation right now is the "Genode Foundations"
book that can be found on the genode.org website. In chapter 5 you will
find a lot of up-to-date information about system integration, booting
and testing, including the usage of our run-tool.

Regards
Stefan