Inquiry about The ethernet stack in Genode

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Jul 1 22:22:20 CEST 2015

Hello Ssekyanzi,

welcome to the list! Can you share the motivation behind your question?
I.e., what kind of networking scenario do you have in mind?

On 26.06.2015 11:16, Ssekyanzi Badru wrote:
> Am new to using Genode. As part of my project work i would like to
> better understand the working of the Ethernet stack in Genode.
> Your help will be highly appreciated.

To gain a good understanding of networking on Genode, I recommend you to
experiment with the run scripts found in the libports and ports
repositories. I would start with repos/libports/run/lwip.run, which runs
a simple web server using the lwIP TCP/IP stack. The network driver is
executed as a separate component.

For sharing one physical NIC between multiple components, there is the
so-called NIC bridge, located at os/src/server/nic_bridge/. It opens a
session to a NIC driver and, in turn, provides potentially many NIC
sessions to its clients. Each client gets an IP address at the host network.

There are two TCP/IP stacks available, the lwIP stack and the TCP/IP
stack ported from the Linux kernel (located in the dde_linux
repository). Each of both comes in the form of a library that is linked
directly against the network application.

For all of the components mentioned above, you can find run scripts as
examples. If you have questions about a specific component or run
script, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards