Bionic Porting Errors

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Jan 27 13:22:39 CET 2015

Hello Paramesh,

> /home/paramesh/genode-14.08/mybuild/var/libcache/bionic_libc_x86/bionic_libc_x86.lib.a(syscall.o):
> relocation R_X86_64_PC32 against undefined symbol `__set_errno' can not
> be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
>
> From the above compilation error, I understood that
> /bionic_libc_x86.lib.a/ is not compiled with/-fPIC/ flag enabled(which
> is needed for Position Independent code generation by compiler and that
> is what essentially needed in Shared LIb
> buiding(/bionic_libstdc++.lib.so/) that uses the above static library).
> So, i assigned /-fPIC/ flag to compiler variable /CC_OPT/ to resolve it,
> but it is not showing the effect.
>
> So, can any one tell me how can I resolve it. Correct me if I'm wrong
> somewhere.

you should probably build your 'bionic_lib_x86' library as a shared
object. To do that, add the following line to your 'bionic_lib_x86.mk' file:

  SHARED_LIB = yes

For validating the command-line arguments passed to the compiler, you
may append 'VERBOSE=' (without the quotes) to the make command when
building. The -fPIC argument should be there.