recommended hardware

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Tue Jan 6 11:33:18 CET 2015

Hello,

some additional remarks from me.

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 11:15:54AM +0100, Josef Söntgen wrote:
> * full support for Intel AMT — some Thinkpads claim to have full AMT
>   support but do not have it actually (note: AMT is not required for
>   running Genode but eases debugging by providing a serial connection)

The best is to look out for the "Intel vPro" label and to make sure
the reseller does not fiddle with the AMT feature (as Dell did with a
notebook we purchased last year).

> * working ACPI implementation because on some Thinkpads, e.g. T440s,
>   wrong IRQs are reported via ACPI leading currently to non-working
>   drivers

It's not easy to ensure a working ACPI interrupt table as recent OSes
mostly use MSIs (message-signalled interrupts) on capable devices. For
this reason, we plan to enable MSI support (at least on NOVA) this
year. A short-term quickfix is to manually identify the correct GSI
numbers and patch the drivers as we did for testing/demoing recently.

> A Thinkpad model that works well in our experience is the X201 (that is
> the one Norman mostly uses for his presentations) and from my experience
> the T430 does too relating to the list above.

We have positive experiences with T61, T400, T410, and T420 too.
Furthermore, we enabled (with some effort) a Dell Mobile Workstation
(Precision M6800) and some other mobile PCs.

Christian Helmuth