Para-virtualization support for ARM on Genode

Praveen B srinivasprv at ...9...
Mon Sep 22 17:07:59 CEST 2014

Norman,
Thank you for the reply.

On Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Stefan Kalkowski <
stefan.kalkowski at ...1...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 09/22/2014 08:26 AM, Praveen B wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > We are able to run Genode-14.08 on i.MX6 board.
> > Now I am planning to add support for virtualization for Genode on i.MX6.
> >
> > As the processor is Cortex-A9, it does not have virtualization
> > extensions. So I am planning to implement a hypervisor to run
> > para-virtualized linux, similar to the one proposed in the following
> paper,
> >
> http://systems.cs.columbia.edu/archive/pub/2014/03/kvm-arm-the-design-and-implementation-of-the-linux-arm-hypervisor/
>
> The paper you're refering to doesn't use a para-virtualization approach,
> but uses hardware assisted virtualization.

I'm sorry. That was wrong link.
The paper is,
http://systems.cs.columbia.edu/archive/pub/2010/07/kvm-for-arm/

> > I am not sure that would work for ARMv7 as they have only tested for
> > ARMv5. Can you suggest any other para-virtualization solutions preferred
> > for the implementation of Genode. I saw L4Linux but it is a port of
> > linux to L4Re and not to the kernel itself. On the other hand,
> > SierraVisor and Xen  are bare metal hypervisors.
>
> You're right vanilla L4Linux is tied to L4Re, but we've a port of
> L4Linux that runs on Genode, but on Fiasco.OC only. Alternatively, if
> one instance of Linux is enough for your scenario, you might use the
> normal world of TrustZone to ease up para-virtualization, as you don't
> have to implement CPU virtualization on your own, but other devices
> only. The third alternative of course is to para-virtualize Linux from
> scratch.

We will use the first option, that is, L4Linux with Genode on Fiasco.OC.
Thank you

Regards
Praveen