Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 14.02 released

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at ...218...
Mon Mar 3 21:57:04 CET 2014

Hi Norman,

Thanks for your wonderful email and I do agree with much of what you have
said.  Currently, Genode is a wonderful, and evolving developmental OS. It
is coming along VERY nicely and I can see great potential for it as things
move forward.

That being said, it seems that currently you are targeting developers, which
is also a good thing as it will contribute to the growth and stability of
Genode. Perhaps at some future point, when Genode wants to step into the
broader user base (ie. Beyond mainly developers) then that will be the main
times in which Genode will want to have a good LiveCD which will be used to
attract a more diverse user-base.  As you can see, in the Linux world, there
are many flavors available and some of them are just for developers while
others are more globally focused on a whole array of types of users.

Daniels point is spot-on in that people will absolutely want to modify, and
also initial replicate, the build of the LiveCD. I know that is something
that I will want to do for sure.

Ultimately, you will want to show-off the potential of Genode with a good
LiveCD as you have in your roadmap since the standards by which Genode will
be judged, like it or not, will be against the popular OS's like Windows,
Linux, and perhaps even OSX.  If people can "see", or envision a potential
for Genode to be better then it will take off and you will gain a huge
number of developers and end-users alike.

In my case, I am currently focused on having NOVA+Genode+VirtualBox in a
type of updated version of the NOVA v0.3 demo, but to spawn off VirtualBox
instances and have a graphical Tutor section for a Type-1 Hypervisor that
"might" be able to compete with the other existing Type-1 hypervisors like
Xen, Hyper-V, and VMWare as I think that the NOVA+Genode+VirtualBox (once
the networking and SMP areas are working) can be a great alternative to the
other hypervisors while also allowing Genode/NOVA to move slowly into the
competition space for hypervisors.

This is the project that I am trying to ramp up and slowly get started.
Additionally, my goal will be, beyond the initial Type-1 hypervisor system,
will be to further modify VirtualBox (in a special fork) to allow for a
"distributed SMP and distributed memory" VMM so that I will be able to run
it on commodity desktops with one instance of VB running the desktop OS
(like Windows 7) and another instance of VB running the distributed VMM and
peer connecting to other distributed VMM's on the LAN to make a hugely
distributed SMP machine (ie.. cluster with a single OS) and hundreds of
nodes. I also want to keep the build as minimum in size as is possible.

In my day job, I would (as a Physicist) at a research facility where such a
system would be very useful for running various modelers and simulators that
we run and which has prompted my strong interest in NOVA+Genode+VirtualBox.

Anyway, it’s a long-term project for me but I think that Genode is the best
approach as I can also learn a lot at the project proceeds forward.

Right now, I am working on trying to get just Genode + NOVA + VirtualBox to
compile up cleanly and easily.

One question on this. When I am in my build directory and have done the make
prepare for VB. What is the "make" command to just make
Genode+NOVA+VirtualBox as it seems that when I issue "make" the system wants
to build everything which is what I do not need?

Best Regards,
Lonnie