Question about seL4

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Jun 20 12:30:06 CEST 2014

Hi Jorge,

welcome to the mailing list!

> On July 29th of this year the seL4 is going to become free software. Is
> Genode going to support or it's already supporting this uKernel ???

It goes without saying that seL4 looks like an attractive base platform
for Genode. From what I remember from a talk of Gernot Heiser, the
kernel API would fit quite well with our architecture. In particular the
kernel resource management looks very suitable to us. That is an area
where most L4 kernels are severe lacking. Also the design decisions
described in their recent paper "From L3 to seL4
What Have We Learnt in 20 Years of L4 Microkernels?" [1] resonate very
well with me (e.g., abandoning IPC timeouts).

[1] http://www.nicta.com.au/pub?doc=6930

Put shortly, we will definitely investigate it once it got released.