Genode Userland Licensing

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Wed Jan 29 15:42:47 CET 2014

Hi Nick,

> Could someone possibly make a definitive comment on this - what is the
> license for any code sitting on top of Genode?
>
> If it's pure GPLv2 then I, for one, am stuck as I will have no control
> on what third parties will place on the application level.

Genode's regular license is GPLv2, which implies that "derivative work"
inherits the license. So software based on Genode will be Free Software.
This is by intention.

Note, however, that not all software that runs "on top" of Genode is
"derivative work". For example, the 3rd-party software packages as found
in the ports and libports repositories are hardly to be considered as
such. So there is no single definite answer to your question.

That said, Genode Labs offers the option to commercially license Genode.
If you think that GPLv2 prevents you from going forward with your plans,
please get in touch via

  licensing at ...1...

Best regards