My Introduction:

Peter Lindener lindener.peter at ...9...
Mon Jan 27 23:01:05 CET 2014

Hi
    Norman-

    Thanks for greeting me on your Genode list.

you asked:
*   Would you recommend the Zedboard as a low-cost HW/SW codesign*
*platform? *

   I opted for a ZedBoard over a microZed / BaseBoard pair...only because
of it's more established support eco-system..     That said the MircoZed
platform will be a much better selection in the far longer run.

    One note about the MicroZed, it's USB connector is currently shipped
configured from the factory to be host only...i.e. the Zynq SOC chip's USB
to go capabilities apparently require a board level component
modification....

   ZedBoard has only 512MegaByte of DRAM, as opposed to the MicroZed's 1Gig.

   I don't yet know the details...   further more the low end Zynq chips on
Zed and microZed, do not support multi-gigibit SERDES channels...only up to
950Mbit/sec per LVDS pair.

    the Zed board has a fair amount of additional I/O hardware, HDMI output
or reversed as an Input) driven via the FPGA .....   so you folks shout be
able to move the Genode Nitpicker video logic over quite easily....   that
would be great!

   But I hear from a Ed
Berdahl<http://wp.music.lsu.edu/faculty-staff/edgar-berdahl/>that the
Audio analog section on the ZedBoard may be a far cry from a hi
quality implementation.

You might want to check out ZYBO a lower cost Zynq 7010 platform from
Digilent<http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,719,1197&Prod=ZYBO>
also:  the Zynq-7000 AP SoC Extension Card By
Inrevium<https://digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,952,1130&Prod=INREVIUM-ZYNQ7000>

you asked:
*    I wonder in particular if it comes with a license for the*
*Xilinx ISE+EDK (or however it is called for the Zynq-7000), which is*
*pretty expensive otherwise?*

    These days the older ISE+EDK tool kit has been replaced by,
Vivado<http://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/> a
major 500+ man year, tool-chain from scratch re-write. that apparently was
quite the implementation challenge..   I have only begun to work with
it...so I can't tell you much about it from my own experiences as of yet.

    The ZedBoard comes with a 1-year 7020 device locked licence certificate
for Vivado. The microZed (development kit only, not the OEM modules), come
witha 1-year 7010 device locked licence certificate.

* y*ou asked:
*    If not, what is the designated target **audience for the board?*

   The ZedBoard implementation, was Avnet / Digilent's first more cost
effective entry point into the Xilix Zync SOC eco-system, many both by them
and other's will follow...   for example the
Parallella<http://www.parallella.org/> has
a Zynq 7010 device on it,  but I gather at $99...it does not come with a
licence certificate for
Vivado<http://www.xilinx.com/products/design-tools/vivado/>
.

    Altera also will have good offerings in terms of leading egde SOCs...
see: RocketBoards.org

hhh