Just an idea about virtualbox

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at ...218...
Mon Jan 13 22:01:12 CET 2014

Greetings All,

I hope that you are all doing well today.  My learning is proceeding well
with regards to NOVA and Genode. I truly do like this work and am excited
to start doing more as I get better familiarized with the inner-workings.

My particular interest is with NOVA + Genode + Seoul (or similar VMM) for
various work that I am looking into at the moment.

With that in mind, a thought had occurred to me and I wanted to ask the
group for your thoughts in this area.

As you know, there are a number of other open source hypervisors (Type 1
and Type 2) with on of them being Virtualbox (Oracle) that runs well as a
Type 2 hypervisor.  My understanding is that Virtualbox is also reasonably
easy to port to other platforms as well. The power of Virtualbox is that it
is very mature at this point and I was wondering.

Would there be an advantage to have Virtualbox ported to Genode to run
under NOVA?

The idea is that since it is already fairly mature, then perhaps it might
make a very stable and suitable VMM (in place of Seoul) so that Genode
(under NOVA) could run general purposes commodity OS's like Windows and
Linux. I am sure that this would be a lot of work, but it seems that that
might be an interesting idea.

Any comments?

Kind Regards and have a great day,
Lonnie