Roadmap 2015

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Tue Dec 23 22:36:34 CET 2014

Hello,

thanks Norman for starting this already fruitful discussion right
before the holidays - I'm looking forward to all the messages from the
community.

Beside the desktop environment and pushing the exciting ideas of a
data-centric approach for our user interface I see further challenges
in the field of networking. With LAN and WiFi access on a good path,
we should invest more time into network interoperability. First, the
good old NIC bridge needs a companion NAT service as environments like
hotel WLANs are not that generous with multiple IP addresses per
client. Next, the new NAT component as well as existing services and
drivers need to become adaptable and sensitive to changing network
environments - also a manual approach would be feasible IMO.

Further (as Josef and Ben also brought up), the user interface to
network services must be enabled. I would be more than glad with good
old mutt plus IMAP sync and Chrome on Genode. Especially the latter
sounds like a worthwhile challenge.

Greets and Happy holidays
--
Christian Helmuth