USB Armory - an interesting platform for Genode

Madhu (Macaque Labs) madhu at ...275...
Thu Dec 18 14:35:27 CET 2014

We came across it a while ago and in fact negotiated with them to change
the processor
to i.MX6. But they preferred to stick to i.MX53. But I figured we could
still use it. waiting for its release to order it.

For i.MX6 what we done instead is to get a tablet vendor to create a custom
version
of an dual core i.MX6 tablet with HAB enabled and with tamper detect. Just
placed the proto
order today. Ready version I think will be sold by the vendor for about 300
USD.
We hope to have a virtualized android on top of genode for it.

But the USB armory is ideal for security key or gateway type apps. We plan
to use both.

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Norman Feske <norman.feske at ...1...>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just was made aware of a crowd-funding campaign for an open hardware
> platform called USB Armory, which would provide an intriguing playground
> for Genode:
>
>   https://www.crowdsupply.com/inverse-path/usb-armory
>
> In short, USB Armory is an i.MX53-based computer in the form factor of a
> USB stick. It is meant for security applications such as VPNs,
> authentication tokens, and encrypted storage. It is based on the
> FreeScale i.MX53 SoC, which it is well supported by Genode, i.e., Genode
> can be used as secure-world OS besides Linux running in the normal world.
>
> Personally, I find the project interesting because it strives to be an
> 100% open platform, which includes hardware, software, and firmware.
> Hence, at Genode Labs, we already started investigating possible
> Genode-based applications for it.
>
> As of now, the campaign has reached about 55% of the funding goal. If
> you are interested in such a platform, please consider joining in to
> make it happen.
>
> Cheers
> Norman
>
> --