AW: AW: Block Cache

Wolfgang Schmidt w_schmidt at ...181...
Tue Apr 29 11:55:11 CEST 2014

Hi,

The last time the build Problem was mit on Hardware, but on building it with the run/Demo for qemu.

This now works after the comments.

What haven't worked right now is using the live cd on real hardware. ( neither older L4 mir newer Linux live Demo)
So I asked to know wether a specific Plattform is known to work as I habe no Nova knowledge so far ( to reduce the risk of asking to many stupid questions).

Of I understand You correctly the was of using a filesystem with cache wozld be

ahci as driver -> blockcache as server -> rump_fs as single client of the blockcache and as server for -> multiple programs accessing files.

Is this correct?

Best regards
Wolfgang

----- Ursprüngliche Nachricht -----
Von: "Stefan Kalkowski" <stefan.kalkowski at ...1...>
Gesendet: ‎29.‎04.‎2014 09:37
An: "genode-main at lists.sourceforge.net" <genode-main at lists.sourceforge.net>
Betreff: Re: AW: Block Cache

Hi Wolfgang

On 04/28/2014 10:25 PM, Wolfgang Schmidt wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
> Can You give a gibt for compatible x86 hw? I tried The democd on an FSC
> Athlon64 which did mit start at all. Does for example a comp list for
> nova exist?

No, I've no compatibility list available. I know of quite different
Intel PCs people are using doing experiments with Genode/NOVA.

What do you mean with it didn't start at all on your specific hardware?
The last time I've read an email from you regarding problems with NOVA
on real hardware, it failed to compile the framebuffer driver, because
your third-party-code "libports" repository probably wasn't prepare
accordingly. Maybe it's better to smooth build problems out, instead of
searching for new hardware?

> What so You mean with: it serves only one client- one client application?

I meant, the block cache acts like a block driver. In general a block
driver in Genode serves only one client, e.g.: a filesystem server. If
you want to share the same device with multiple clients, you might use
the "part_blk" server, which provides different partitions, found on the
device, as separate block sessions to different clients.

Does that clarifies your question?

Regards
Stefan

> Best regards