Creating your first Genode application - Build succesful, butexecution fails

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Mon Apr 21 17:00:13 CEST 2014

Hi Wolfgang,

> Thanks, uncommenting in build configuration helped a bit. (Still do not see
> the point in documentation)

please have a look at the following section:

http://genode.org/documentation/developer-resources/getting_started#Using_platforms_other_than_Linux

But in contrast to this page, the platform-specific documents lack the
part about modifying the 'build.conf' file. Thank you for pointing this
out. We should fix that.

> But now it stops without any error. It just opens the start screen like with
> "linux" demo, but then it freezes.

What do you mean with "freeze" specifically?

Do you see the GUI in the Qemu window or does it stay black? In the
former case, the problem may be related to Qemu. We repeatedly
experienced problems with different versions of Qemu. E.g., newer
versions shipped with Ubuntu come with a Gtk GUI, which behaves a bit
strange (the nitpicker mouse cursor does not move). For me, it helped to
specify "-display sdl" as Qemu option. You can do that by modifying the
'QEMU_OPT' declaration in your '<build-dir>/etc/build.conf' file.

> I would even be more interessted in how to really buidl a first application.
> (not only starting the buildscript make run7hello, but the step-for-step
> instruction, which still fails).

I figured that the hello-tutorial may actually not be the easiest way to
start as it contains many details that are not needed for realizing
applications on top of Genode.

For creating your very first program, it would probably be better to
inspect an even simpler scenario such as 'run/printf'. You can find the
corresponding run script at 'base/run/printf.h' and the source code and
target.mk file for the program at 'base/src/test/printf/'. Once you got
comfortable with modifying and running it, start to explore to other run
scripts. Also, do not hesitate to look under the hood of the run tool to
learn how it works. (e.g., what happens when a command
'build_boot_image' is invoked?) The run tool is actually a script to be
found at 'tool/run'. The platform-specific parts are located at
'base-<platform>/run/env'.