Creating your first Genode application - Build succesful, butexecution fails

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Sat Apr 12 17:33:14 CEST 2014

Hello Wolfgang,

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 10:26:29AM +0200, w_schmidt at ...181... wrote:
> Because I had some strange graphic problems with Ubuntu 12.04 on the
> physical computer+-, I also tried a reinstall with another distribution
> (Mint). With Mint at least  run/demo works.

That's good news.

> But the self created hello doesn't.
>
> I have found only an empty /tmp/genode-1000 directory (therefore the grep
> command you provided shows nothing).
>
> The demo which is provided in genode nor works after update (git pull) of
> genode, but notif i try to run it with the nova kernel (the lower part of my
> last mail, it still says "no route to service "IO_PORT")

Just to get it right: 'make run/demo' now works on Linux and NOVA as
expected, right?

I've to admit that it's expected that the hello tutorial works on
Linux but not on NOVA. The first-application tutorial on Genode leaves
aside several aspects, which are important for other kernel, for
simplicity reasons. In this case the service for accessing x86 I/O
ports (needed by the timer) is not configured properly. You may add

to the top of your config file. For further information about
confiuring the init process please have a look at

  http://genode.org/documentation/developer-resources/init

Best regards
--
Christian Helmuth