Fwd: Open vSwitch possible use, thoughts

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Fri Apr 4 14:16:49 CEST 2014

Hi Lonnie,

> I found Open vSwitch (http://openvswitch.org/) and wanted to see what
> your thought were on this as it might be a good solution to allow for
> multiple VirtualBox VM's to be running under NOVA & Genode.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

I remember your email. Admittedly, when I studied the web site, I did
not immediately grasp the problem that Open vSwitch would solve for
Genode. Could you elaborate a bit more about your thoughts?

For simple multiplexing of a physical NIC to multiple network-using
processes, we usually use the NIC bridge (os/src/server/nic_bridge)
component. How do you envision the role of Open vSwitch in a Genode
system? Would that be an alternative to NIC bridge? If yes, what would
be the benefits of using one over the other?

Best regards