What is going on for february release?

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Thu Jan 31 17:05:15 CET 2013

Hi Paul,

> Well, february 2013 is at our door now, and I would like to remember
> us of the plan for it according to our 2013 roadmap:
>
> -Low-latency audio support
> The current audio_out-session interface was our first shot into the
> direction of audio processing. To enable use cases where streaming
> audio and sporadic sounds must be accommodated at the same time, we
> need to revise our approach.

This line of work (conducted by Sebastian Sumpf) has been merged into
master. See the following commits for more details:

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/238d6a29c508ec776137362bc71363a17ddc0428

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/47bb48bdd6fa688cd91585412326e1f6d107f475

https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/5aea55e4172ce6ff9641e639bb3e24ea741f625a

We still need to thoroughly test the new solution on real hardware and
at least one virtualization solution (i.e., VirtualBox). For the
release, we plan to document the design of the new interface and the
rationale behind it.

> -IOMMU support on NOVA

This topic is being worked on by Alexander Böttcher. See here:

  https://github.com/alex-ab/genode/commits/nova_iommu_v0

In addition, Alex largely refined the base-nova code to enable dynamic
workloads on this kernel. This work includes pretty substantial changes
of the kernel. These changes are available in his fork of the kernel:

  https://github.com/alex-ab/NOVA/commits/r1

> -First steps of user-interface concept
> --UI concept for pleasant working environment
> --Tiled window manager
> --Terminal improvements (e.g., scroll buffer)
> --Noux improvements (e.g., signals)

These points remain largely unaddressed. I expect that we will see
progress on them after FOSDEM. I will certainly be involved in these topics.

> -Improved x86 virtualization support
> --Improved virtualization support (Vancouver on NOVA)

There is an open pull request about this topic:

  https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/pull/582

Udo Steinberg agreed to revisit the patches to incorporate my feedback.
After that, we will integrate them into staging and document and test
the new version of the Vancouver VMM.

In addition to the mentioned topics, the February release will bring
principal support for the Exynos5-based Arndale platform for our custom
base-hw kernel. See Martin Stein's topic branch:

  https://github.com/m-stein/genode/commits/arndale