Nova 32 bits on older Pentium 4 computer.

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at ...1...
Wed Jan 23 08:24:34 CET 2013

Hi,

I think you're right with the source code triggering the error, but
must slightly adjust your investigation...

On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 10:52:58PM -0500, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> It looks like Framebuffer_drv::map_io_mem(0x0, PAGESIZE, false,
> &dummy) never return and cause:

It does return and it does it in an exceptional fashion ;-)

[...]
> [init -> vesa_drv] map_code_area will map_io_mem
> I/O memory [0,1000) not available
> Local MMIO mapping failed!
> [init -> launchpad] Could not open file "ld.lib.so"
> [init -> launchpad] Could not open file "config"
> [init -> timer] Timer::Timeout_scheduler::Timeout_scheduler(Platform_timer*, Ger
> [init -> vesa_drv] C++ runtime: Genode::Parent::Service_denied
> [init -> launchpad] Could not obtain config file
> [init -> vesa_drv] void* abort(): abort called

Oops, we got an exception that was not caught. This aborts vesa_drv on
a failing session request. In this case, the IO MEM session is denied
by core's service, because the requested region is not available.
Please have a look into base/include/parent/parent.h which declares
Parent::session() and the Service_denied exception.

For further investigation, you may set 'bool verbose = true' in

  base/src/core/io_mem_session_component.cc:25

This enables logging of all requests to the IO MEM service in core.

Greets
--
Christian Helmuth