Tested run/demo on nova: liquid_fb tried to call an invalid object

Udo Steinberg udo at ...121...
Mon Jan 21 18:37:29 CET 2013

On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 11:44:05 -0500 Paul Dufresne (PD) wrote:

PD> Nova 64 bits rebooting in loop on my older Pentium 4 computer was not
PD> a surprised.

Probably because your P4 does not support x86_64?

PD> Nova 32 bits seems to work well on my Celeron D computer, but not on
PD> my older (about 2002) IBM Netvista computer where I get when trying to
PD> boot the demo.iso CD:
PD> Nova Microhypervisor v5-16dd65c (x86_32): Jan 21 2013... (gcc 4.7.2)
PD>
PD> [ 0] CORE:0:0:0 f:2:4:2 [f]          Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26 GHz
PD>
PD> And it hang there.

NOVA expects the machine to have at least one IOAPIC. We removed support for
the 8259 legacy PIC in NOVA-0.2. If the machine does have an IOAPIC, it also
needs to provide the ACPI MADT, so OS software can enumerate the IOAPIC.

There is little use in supporting hardware as old as your P4. It would not
support multiple processors or virtualization anyway.

As a rule of thumb, NOVA should work on any multi-core x86 CPU.

Cheers,
Udo