Tested run/demo on nova: liquid_fb tried to call an invalid object

Christian Prochaska christian.prochaska at ...1...
Mon Jan 21 18:09:15 CET 2013

Hello Paul,

On 01/21/2013 05:44 PM, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> Nova 64 bits rebooting in loop on my older Pentium 4 computer was not
> a surprised.
> This morning I tested Nova 32 bits.
> Nova 32 bits seems to work well on my Celeron D computer, but not on
> my older (about 2002) IBM Netvista computer where I get when trying to
> boot the demo.iso CD:
> Nova Microhypervisor v5-16dd65c (x86_32): Jan 21 2013... (gcc 4.7.2)
>
> [ 0] CORE:0:0:0 f:2:4:2 [f]          Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.26 GHz
>
> And it hang there.
>
> It's still a bit unclear if the message come really from the Genode
> Core but I guess so.
> Guess I should get my serial null-modem out of a dusted box here.

the NOVA kernel uses some hardware features (ACPI, APIC), which are not
available/not enabled/not properly implemented on some older computers.
We got the same symptom you are describing on an IBM T42 (Pentium M)
notebook just recently. Then we tried it on an IBM T60 (Core Solo)
notebook, where it worked well.

Christian