Scientific groundwork [was] HelenOS kernel (Spartan) as a Genode platform

John Bessa john.bessa at ...9...
Thu Jan 17 17:08:56 CET 2013

To Paul, Tobias, Stephan, and anyone else who is interested.  This is in
two parts, my immediate "knee-jerk" reaction to yesterday's comments, and a
less-spontaneous 24-hour (philosophic/scientific groundwork) approach to
the "paucity of drivers" problem --something that will bedevil any OS or
framework!

Logic is the bread, water and light of computers and networking; logic,
from ancient Greek logos is language and meaning (ie definitions) that
evolve as human thought evolves (most agree that we are in a state of
de-evolution: good or bad depending whom you ask).  If nothing, definition
is static (ie a platform is what ~the user~ stands on), but often changes
"effect" in context  (rather than meaning); this is no more true than
"synthesis."

Norman specifically mentions Genode as "holistic;" the current word for
holistic is "whole systems model"and is absent in most scientific research
and society's pseudo-scientific "control structures."  (At the moment, I am
contemplating how to leverage the domain wholesystemsmodel.org.)

The text below was my immediate response last night to the previous email
subject thread.  I had just finished an apple syrup beverage made from a
family of semi-wild apple trees that happen to grow near significant
markers for the series of rebellions that eventually led the US Bill of
Rights--the template for all human rights.  These important places include
the iron/charcoal furnace where the revolution was initially plotted, and
the modest marker of the last battle of Shays Rebellion, the event that
forced the constitution.  Shays survived to reach Vermont and help found
its namesake university with the Green Mountain Boys.  So, life is ripe
with meaning where I come from.

===Text from last night===
Userland is people, and people have minds.  The way the minds work is very
much the way the computers work, but far more advanced with such things as
emotional intelligence and related empathic communication   This idea that
the mind gave the CPU its functionality in its context is actually a given
to most because, obviously  human minds created the CPUs and OSs with
memory and interconnection networks.  The journey back from the computer
and network back to the mind was remarkable, because it can be modeled by
the IP stack far better than any previous explanation.  Further, the
interrelation between parts of the mind uses co-processing CPUs and
networks that we take for granted such that if a CPU or network isn't
working, it is the first you notice of the remarkable system.  Sadly, if
one NEVER knew it didn't work (because it stopped working), one you might
never know what that component or connection provides for normal humans.
 That is the scary part, because civilization finds ways to implement minds
that are only partially-working in "synthetic" ways.  Sometime in the last
decade the "civilization process phenomena" became such that the computer
stopped being humanly intelligent, especially with behaviors such as
"troll-bashing."  The communications network--the Internet--became really,
really stupid and violent like TV.  If you have read about civilization
cycles, then you know that the proper next move is to "get back to basics"
which means rolling everything back to the point where it made sense (as
from a fully functioning mind) and is not just recent rationale (such as in
a partially-functioning mind).  For technology, this means "rolling" before
Y2K, the point where financial corruption poisoned it with the
"tech scandal."   For civilization, this means looking closely at the gap
between Sophocles and Socrates.
===end of last night's text===

Without doubt, the single most important text on the culture of technology
is "Technics and Civilization" by Lewis Mumford.  Among things, one finds
in it critical inquiry into "false charity," which applies to especially to
every Information Society corporation (ie. GSoC).  I attempted to cover
some of Mumford's gaps with my critical inquiry into the "Occupy" movement
of New York last Spring (by leveraging past relationships).  In parallel, I
designed the "empathy model," which leverages the IP stack, as I mention
above, to show an important connection between technology and
socio-psychology with respect to collaboration: intelligent
emotional communication.

Given this was the basis of my undergrad and most of my present work, I am
sticking with it --and I hope it helps.

Regards, John