HelenOS kernel (Spartan) as a Genode platform

John Bessa john.bessa at ...9...
Wed Jan 16 17:59:31 CET 2013

Terminology question -- as the OS framework, shouldn't Genode be the
"platform" rather than the microkernel, esp. from the user's perspective?
 Also, HelenOS seems to be a full OS, so why does it need an OS framework?
 And, won't HelenOS be plagued by the "other OS" status (being neither Win
nor Apple) and thus be short on drivers?  (Just as an example, I can easily
predict that every newbie who looks at it will automatically ask why there
is no Win adapter such as ndiswrapper.)

This leads me to thoughts about "driver synthesis."  I have not read the
PDF yet, but I assume that the OS framework (platform) is a good place for
that to be, well, synthesized to create "open" interrelation standards and
resulting tools for H/W vendor programmers to write once and run (and
debug) everywhere?

Thanks, John

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 10:19 AM, Paul Dufresne <dufresnep at ...9...> wrote:

> Hi Tobia!
> I am happy to know that you are still working on this project!
>
> Maybe adding a small progress comment on
> http://trac.helenos.org/ticket/419 mentionning both links you gave me
> would help people know you are still working on this.
>
> In fact it should probably be a feature issue in
> https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/ too.
>
> Indeed reading http://trac.helenos.org/wiki/Genode give me an idea of
> the quite big challenges you are facing while clearly showing the
> differences between Genode and HelenOS which I find quite instructive.
>
> I hope to find some time to follow your progress and wish you good luck!

Photography and sculpture:
http://j <http://thinan.com/john_bessa/photography>ohbessa.com

Empathy and Emotional Communication
http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Empathy_Model