Road map 2013

Daniel Waddington d.waddington at ...60...
Fri Jan 4 18:11:10 CET 2013

Dear Norman,

Congratulations to you and the Genode team on your 2012 achievements.
You are truly doing a fantastic job!

W.r.t 2013 road map, we have already discussed this but I thought I
would bring it to the broader audience.

On the theme of debunking the low-performance myth, I personally would
like to see better SMP support.  Ideally I would like to see Genod's
'core' process become multi-threaded (with service threads on each core)
so that we can minimize cross-core IPC and cross-application
interference.  This would allow more localized thread/memory management
etc. as well as IRQ handling.  Doing a better job of resource management
and QoS partitioning is a potential strength over monolithic kernels
that we should (as a community) be striving for.

I also agree that a shift towards more "native" drivers and filesystems
would be good.  Although using wrappers such as the various DDE
frameworks helps to get off the ground fast, it comes at a cost of
performance and reduces the ability to manage resources in the Genode way.

Ourselves, we plan to look at a native implementation of a 10G driver
(probably Myricom but yet TBD).  We are also interested in a more
scalable and better performing TCP stack.

Finally I would second your opinion about debugging tools being very
important to the broader adoption of Genode.

All the best,
Daniel