Genode Clarification Please

Udo Steinberg udo at ...121...
Thu Dec 19 23:29:56 CET 2013

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 19:29:35 -0500 Lonnie Cumberland (LC) wrote:

LC> Will you be posting an ISO of the project?

We used to provide ISO images of NOVA+NUL in the past when no other
combination was available. Nowadays you can run NOVA with NUL, NRE and
Genode and Genode with a bunch of other kernels besides NOVA, so providing
an ISO image for all the different combinations is not practical.

I would suggest to compile your desired combination of projects from source
code and then use "mkisofs" to build your own ISO image.

LC> I have tried the past livecd of NOVA 0.3 that is using Tiny Core Linux in a
LC> small VM, but what I would like to get worked out is NOVA with one VM
LC> running a much larger Linux LiveCD (perhaps Debian or Ubuntu, etc..),
LC> another VM possibly running ReactOS (just for testing of the VM) and a
LC> third VM possibly with Genode as in their dated demo.

I'm not sure why you would want to run Genode in a VM on top of NOVA. Genode
can run directly on top of NOVA without the need for virtualization.

LC> I am still figuring out NRE (which I have been able to compile) and have
LC> been looking at NUL to try and see what it might take to develop a VM that
LC> could run a "semi-windows" environment like ReactOS initially as the goal
LC> would be to possibly run some version of Windows in a VM instead of ReactOS
LC> which is really not useful at this stage. Is these (NOVA with Genode,
LC> Debian/Ubuntu Linux, and Windows (ie. ReactOS perhaps for testing.) is
LC> possible then I can start to see how to modify and develop the VM's that I
LC> need for my distributed VM cluster although there is still much to learn
LC> about NOVA and Genode during this learning curve.

It's probably a good idea to try out the 3 different NOVA user-level
frameworks (NUL, NRE, Genode) to see which one is best for your purposes.
If you need help making a decision, it may be useful to post a list of
requirements or a bunch of questions to this mailing list.

Cheers,
Udo