A20-OLinuXino-MICRO-4GB

Martin Stein martin.stein at ...1...
Wed Dec 18 14:45:36 CET 2013

Hi Aditya,

On 18.12.2013 06:24, Aditya Kousik wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for the insightful reply. That's a terrific place to start with
> your guidelines.
>
> Adding to the queries, I have a few of my own.
> 1) On what basis have you used the IRQs in plaform_support.cc?
The interrupts listed in irq_ids[] are those that are currently needed
by any of our user-land drivers or more general those that the userland
shall be allowed to listen to. However, as issue
https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/995 mentions, this shall
change soon towards declaring which interrupts the user-land is not
allowed to listen to. You should use current system anyways for your
platform - I only added this so you can keep it in mind.
> 2) And you're using board.h in src/core. Which inherits the data
> members from board_base.h : Which one? Every board_base.h is inside
> its own platform under base/include.
If you have a look at base/mk/spec-platform_pbxa9.mk you can see
REP_INC_DIR += include/platform/pbxa9 which means "add include path
include/platform/pbxa9 relative to all repositories denoted in the
current etc/build.conf". So this also adds the path of the right
board_base.h in the base repository. The file
base/mk/spec-platform_pbxa9.mk gets included by
base-hw/mk/spec-hw_pbxa9.mk which gets included because of the SPECS +=
hw_pbxa9 in the etc/specs.conf in your build directory.
> 3) Once I create the aforementioned files, can I run make in the build
> folder immediately and use the image.elf from var/run? If so, how do I
> boot this from device? (I read a thread answered by Stefan and Norman
> that converts this elf to binary to uImage - for uboot)
If you add RUN_OPT="--target uboot" in front of your make command, the
build system should additionally create a uImage in var/run. For further
details you might also have a look at
http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/13.05 - "Targeting real
hardware via the run tool".
> 4) What is an MLO and how is it used in Genode?
I cannot give an answer to this question because I'm not firm with MLOs.
But maybe someone else in this mailing list can help you.

> I hope these questions will help others who want to run Genode on bare
> metal.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Aditya

Greetings,