Can i decide the order of applications started?

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Aug 27 10:29:24 CEST 2013

Hello,

> From the run script, I can see that every application is started by the
> <strat> </start>
> can I decide which applicaton is started first, which is started seconde
> and which is no started?

all subsystems specified in the '<start>' nodes are started in parallel.
The only point for which the order of the entries is important is the
assignment of RAM quota. If the specified amount of RAM exceeds the RAM
available of init, init will assign its remaining amount to the child.
All subsequent '<start>' entries won't receive any RAM. If you specifly
an overly large amount of RAM to last entry, the corresponding subsystem
will get all remaining unused RAM resources.

For which reason do you need a specific start order?

> Can i decide the order of applications started dynamically?

There are several ways:

demo/src/app/launchpad: Graphical launcher of Genode subsystems that
  runs directly on the Nitpicker GUI server.

libports/src/app/qt5/qt_launchpad: Qt5-based version of launchpad.

os/src/app/cli_monitor: Command-line-based tool for starting and killing
  subsystems.

os/src/server/loader: Service for starting and stopping subsystems
  driven by a client program.

You will find ready-to-use run scripts for each of those mechanisms in
their respective '<repository>/run/' directories.