Bringing up Genode run/nested_init on a Beaglebone.

Bob Stewart robjsstewart at ...196...
Sun Aug 25 18:18:33 CEST 2013

I'm try to get a basic Genode setup working on a Beaglebone Black (TI
AM335x processor). I'm using a version of u-boot specifically built for
the Beaglebone Black from Robert Nelson's eewiki pages. The only
modification I made was to allow for elf file commands.

Carefully following how the PandaBoard and the imx53 platforms were
build I successfully built from base-hw an elf image for run/nested_init
and loaded that onto an SDCard which contained the two stages of u-boot.
(Previously, I had succesfuly built a helloworld test version of
Fiasco.OC and successfully manually booted it from an SDCard with the
same MLO and u-boot.img files. So the basic process of booting an elf
image file works.)

The elf image is built to load and 0x81000000 with u-boot using the
space from start of SDRAM at 0x80000000. The elf file header has an
entry point address of 0x81004DC0.
Booting the Beagleboard into u-boot from the SDCard, manually loading
the elf image file to the load address above, and giving it a"go"
command to the entry point address, I get an "application terminated"
message as shown below in the console output through minicom:
.
.
.
*U-Boot# load mmc 0 0x81000000 image.elf**
**reading image.elf**
**604700 bytes read in 73 ms (7.9 MiB/s)**
**U-Boot# go 0x81004dc0**
**## Starting application at 0x81004DC0 ...**
**## Application terminated, rc = 0x8108C004**
**U-Boot# *

At termination, the output above shows rc to be pointed at 4 bytes
beyond the start of the bss section of the image.

I would have expected to see at least some Genode core debugging
messages, at least. Is core not being executed at the entry point?

I believe I have the Board_base stucture and cores cpu, pic,
platform_support, timer and tlb files correctly set up for the AM335x.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

     Bob Stewart