"Could not allocate metadata" error msg

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Mon Apr 22 11:54:00 CEST 2013

Hello Jilong,

> Can anyone give me a hint on how to get rid of the "Could not allocate
> metadata" error msg? Or, how can I effectively increase the quota for that?

your question too generic to give you a definite answer. Your complete
LOG output and a way to reproduce the problem (i.e., a run script) would
help.

However, let me try to guide you for finding the problem yourself. The
message "Could not allocate metadata" is printed by core's RAM service
when there is not enough session quota left for holding meta data about
allocated/free memory blocks. Hence, your attempt to upgrade the session
quota using 'parent()->upgrade()' was actually spot-on. However, since
you report that the upgrade did not solve your problem, I suppose that
the session that produced the error message is not the one represented
by the 'env()->ram_session_cap()' argument you passed to the upgrade
function.

Unfortunately, the message printed by core leaves little insight about
the client that triggered the problem. To reveal a bit more information,
you may find the patch "Debug: print session labels if quota exceeds" in
the following branch useful:

  https://github.com/nfeske/genode/commits/quota_msg

Just cherry-pick the commit and adjust it as needed, e.g., you may
enhance the error message with additional status information of the RAM
session. Right now, it just appends the session label as additional
information, which may already guide you to the right spot.

Another approach to find the troubling session it to let core block once
the error condition occurs. I.e., just temporarily insert an infinite
loop after the message is printed. This way, core will get stuck at that
point and, consequently, not reply the RPC call that triggered the
problem. Now, when the condition occurs, you can enter the Fiasco.OC
kernel debugger and look up the thread that is currently doing an IPC
call to core's entrypoint thread. Use the 'lp' command to list the
threads and look at their respective states. Knowing the troubling
thread will probably be helpful.

Good luck! If you manage to encircle the problem, I would greatly
appreciate if you report the issue (and possibly your fix).