Help on running the Hello code in Genode.

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Sun Apr 7 12:40:36 CEST 2013

Hello Pramod,

please do not hesitate to ask questions. Without questions like yours,
we won't be able to spot the weak points in our documentation, and
improve them accordingly. :-)

> So I took a look around in Genode site and decided to add few more lines to
> the config file. The lines I added were:
>
> <route>
>    <any-service> <parent/> <any-child/> </any-service>
>  </route>

Apparently, the session routing is not explained in the hello tutorial.
We might need to add the relevant bits there. Thanks for the hint.

> Quota exceeded: timer
>   memory for slab:               1024
>   used quota:                    66968
>   ds_size:                       32768
>   sizeof(Ram_session_component): 408
>   quota_limit:                   94208
> Quota exceeded: hello_server
>   memory for slab:               2048
>   used quota:                    72088
>   ds_size:                       167936
>   sizeof(Ram_session_component): 408
>   quota_limit:                   94208
> [init -> timer] C++ runtime: Genode::Thread_base::Stack_alloc_failed
> [init -> timer] void* abort(): abort called

It looks like the quota defined for the timer and hello_server programs
is too low. The message tells us that the timer wants to allocate a
dataspace of 32K, but there is no room for this allocation within bounds
of the available quota. For the hello_server, the issue looks similar.
The hello tutorial suggests to assign 256K for both, which seems to be
too rigid. Could you try increasing the values, let's say to 512K?

Thanks for your patience with exercising the tutorial. Good luck!