Want to Boot l4linux.iso directly on hardware???????

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Mon May 14 19:37:51 CEST 2012

Hi Vishal,

> First I want to tell you my problem. actually i am running l4linux on
> fiasco.oc in Qemu. and i am getting a Autologin terminal. but when
> the L4linux.iso file i burned on CD and try to bbot it on my X86 PC i
> am not getting command prompt just it is showing the penguin picture.
> actually i want to write my on application and want to use mysql on
> l4linux/fiasco.oc. but i am not able to understand how i should do
> it. Plz help So i can use my x86 pc (hardware-hard disk) with
> l4linux....

I suggest you to first experiment with a much simpler scenarios than
L4Linux until having reached a profound level of understanding of the
fundamentals of Genode, its configuration and boot concept, and the
Fiasco.OC kernel debugger. In particular I warmly suggest following
Stefan's advise to retrieve the output of the serial line of your PC.

Acquainting yourself with the following topics will certainly boost your
experience:

* Connect the serial line with your test PC to your workstation PC
  (using minicom or a similar terminal program), watch the boot
  messages of the Fiasco.OC kernel and Genode. If you post a problem,
  supply those messages along with your posting. Otherwise it is
  almost impossible to remotely diagnose your problem.

* Start using the kernel debugger to see what is going on. If you
  reach a little proficiency with using this powerful tool, you will
  be able to pinpoint problems much easier.

* Investigate booting over network rather than via an ISO image
  (configure and use a boot loader that supports TFTP or HTTP,
  set up a proper network boot environment in your network).
  This eliminates the long-taking (and potentially frustrating)
  manual steps of burning and booting ISO images.

* Find out how Genode's run scripts are working under the hood. This
  is fundamental to reach a self-determined mode of working. Your
  current approach of "I tried what ever you suggested me" will not
  make you happy in the long run.

Once you have reached confidence in creating and booting small custom
Genode scenarios (routing of services, assignment of resources, using
device drivers), you will be ready to move on to more advanced features
such as embedding L4Linux into the picture, or letting L4Linux access a
hard disk via a block-device driver.