Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 12.02 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Feb 28 13:11:10 CET 2012

I am happy to announce the version 12.02 of the Genode OS Framework.
This release is something special because it represents the first
version conducted with our new open development process.

The framework's additions and improvements were primarily motivated by
our road map for 2012. For example, the release comes with the first
bits of our device-driver manager dubbed d3m, it enables the interactive
execution of a Bash shell to spawn coreutils, and it features the port
of a PDF rendering engine.

With regard to the base API, the most noteworthy additions are a new
framework API for accessing memory-mapped I/O registers more safely and
API support for reusing services as sandboxed libraries.

Summary of the release notes:

* Base framework, low-level OS infrastructure
  * RPC framework refinements
  * API support for enslaving services
  * Support for resizable framebuffers
  * New MMIO access framework
  * Enhanced support for Genode used as component framework on Linux
* New and updated libraries
  * Qt4 updated to version 4.7.4
  * New ports of openjpeg, jbig2dec, and mupdf
* Applications and runtimes
  * New PDF viewer
  * Support for fork in the Noux runtime environment
* Device drivers
  * D3m device-driver manager
  * ACPI support

Those and many more topics are covered in detail in the release notes
for version 12.02:

  http://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/12.02

Have fun with the new release - see you on GitHub!

Best regards