Boot method declaration

Tue Dec 18 10:32:46 CET 2012

Hi,

just to clarify things:

In general, it's useful to produce u-boot images on ARM platforms where
we use u-boot as bootloader. Normally u-boot isn't configured to provide
the ability to boot elf images directly (bootelf command). Therefore, we
always had to replace the given bootloader with our own binary.
Moreover, if you want to boot scenarios over network, which reach a
certain size it's handy to transfer compressed images.
Especially on the i.MX53 QSB I detected problems with u-boot loading
large images. That's why I always had to produce an gzipped u-boot image
for that platform anyway. After I've noticed that Alex built pulsar
support into the run tool, I thought I'll do the same for producing
u-boot images. The pulsar support is realized by using an additional
SPEC variable, namely 'boot_pxe'. Therefore, I've used a SPEC variable
too, to evaluate whether an u-boot image should be built or not. Apart
from that fact, I didn't copied anything, just tried to do it in a
convenient way ;-)

regards
Stefan