Boot method declaration

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Mon Dec 17 15:35:23 CET 2012

Hi Martin,

> By now when doing a build there are two ways of defining the boot
> method. In 'base-mb' one writes 'RUN_OPT="--target jtag" make demo' or
> 'RUN_OPT="--target qemu" make demo' while qemu is set by default. At
> least in base-hw with imx53 one must enrich the SPECS e.g. in
> etc/specs.mk by the 'uboot' spec to get an appropriate Uboot image.
>
> Are there pros or cons for one of these methods, because i would prefer
> to use only one them.

admittedly, I am not familiar with the rationale behind the 'uboot' spec
value. As far as I know, it hasn't entered genodelabs/master yet. Maybe
Stefan can clarify?

Because the selection of the boot method is outside of the scope of the
build system but in the scope of the run tool, I regard the 'RUN_OPT'
variable as the most natural way to steer the boot method.

I'd like to keep the purposes of both tools (build system and run tool
respectively) well separated. By adding spec values for the boot method
just to be picked up by the run tool but not the build system, we would
blur the boundaries between those tools.

Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske, Christian Helmuthw