Using the HTTP server via TAP

Peter Nguyen peter.nguyen at ...35...
Thu Jun 3 12:24:27 CEST 2010

Hi,

So just to clarify, what I meant by the following:

> > So i guess it might not actually be possible to get the
> > starting IP address ie. the IP address of the XP VM (which is obviously
> > not 10.0.0.1).

> Wrong, it is

Is that i was thinking that it might not be possible to get the starting IP
address from the web server when a HTTP request is received. I can obviously
obtain the IP address of the XP vm by looking at the network settings. What I
want to be able to do is obtain the IP address of the actual VM that made the
HTTP request to the web server while in the web server for experimental
purposes. I'm currently looking at some qemu documentation, and seeing if i can
glean anything out of it. I'm thinking that possibly the XP vm would have its
own tap device to the web server maybe?

Thanks
Peter

Quoting Christian Helmuth <christian.helmuth at ...1...>:

> Hello Peter,
>
> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 02:58:40PM +0930, Peter Nguyen wrote:
> > I think i might have figured out my issue. The IP address of 10.0.0.1
> > corresponds to the TAP device, which suggests that the requests are
> > coming from the TAP device (which it should be i think, unless someone
> > can correct me).
>
> You're right, your host acts on behalf of the XP VM.

 - see below.