Interaction with L4

Norman Feske norman.feske at ...1...
Tue Jan 19 15:24:05 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

thanks for providing more insight into your work. With the workload on
Genode getting more and more sophisticated with each release, profiling
becomes increasingly important to us. So your work in this direction is
much appreciated. :-)

I know too little about the structure of your profiling environment
to give a clear advice on how to integrate it with Genode. The answer
depends on the relationship between the user-level portion of your
profiling environment and the other processes. If there is no
interaction (only interaction with the kernel) and the profiling
takes place at a global level (e.g., monitoring the IPC traffic
between all processes), the profiling process could be started just
alongside the other programs by the init process. But I assume that
the profiling environment somehow has to interact with the rest of
the system, for example for presenting the profiling result or
for getting activated in the first place.

Another setting would be to apply profiling as a tool to analyse
a Genode subsystem only. This could be achieved by letting the
profiler play the role of the parent of this subsystem (similar
to init). This way, all requests of the subsystem to the outside will
become visible to the profiler at the Genode API level. For example,
if the subsystem creates a new process, it will ask the parent
(which is then the profiler) to create the corresponding CPU, PD,
and RAM sessions. So the profiler can observe how the subsystem
interacts with the outside and, in principle, virtualize all services
used by the subsystem, or just delegate requests further to the
profiler's parent. This way, the profiler could obtain much higher
level information about the system than plain kernel events.

Regarding the question about how to integrate your source code with
Genode, I recommend creating a dedicated repository for your work
rather than modifying the existing source code. You are free to
define the structure of your repository. Usually we have a layout
such as

  repo/include    - public interfaces usable by other repositories
  repo/lib/mk     - library description files usable from programs
                    of other repositories
  repo/src/server - source codes of services
  repo/src/lib    - source codes of libraries
  repo/src/app    - source codes of applications
  repo/src/test   - source codes for test programs
  repo/tool       - tools and scripts specific for the repository
  repo/doc        - documentation

Whether your profiler belongs to 'src/server' or 'src/app' depends
on role it plays within Genode (does it provide a service RPC interface
or not?).

> The reason why I'm looking at genode was that there was an implementation of a
> HTTP server. I'd like to be able to use my language/profiling environment so
> that it can monitor activity in terms of CPU usage, and also network usage,
> given the IP stack. What do you think would be the best way to "link" my
> profiling environment with Genode, given that virtually all the profiling code
> is L4 based (there is some Iguana functionality as i mentioned before, but this
> code can easily be converted to L4 code). I was thinking that it could be
> implemented as part of the test suite (I've noticed a couple of test folders
> that provide implementations of pagers and what not), where profiling begins
> upon boot up, and then somehow providing a link between genode and my profiling
> environment.

Can you elaborate why the profiling code is tied to L4? Would it be
possible to generalize it? I ask because a general profiling infra-
structure would be valuable not only on OKL4 but also on the other
platforms.

Apart from the networking example, I think there are plenty of workloads
on Genode that are worth to inspect in detail. For example, how does Qt4
interact with Genode and are there opportunities for performance
optimizations? Or how interplays Genode's signalling API with the OKL4
scheduler? Or how much latency overhead do we have for each interrupt
delivered via Genodes IRQ service? A profiling framework could provide
answers to these and many more interesting questions.