Roadmap 2024

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Jan 19 18:45:31 CET 2024

Hi John,

> 1. Could you say a few words about "Application-level compositing using
> Genode's dialog API" (24.05)?

the idea is to use one application as widget inside another. I mentioned
it near the bottom of the posting [1].

[1] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2023-December/008850.html

> 2. Does "Multi-monitor window management" (24.11) include support for
> multiple "workspaces"?  (Actually, does it already support this, and I
> just didn't notice?)

When using Sculpt's window-manager preset, you can switch between
multiple virtual desktops via Super-1 ... Super-9. By default, new
windows appear at screen 1. To move a window to another screen, you have
to edit rw/recall/window_layouter/recall/rules (changing the 'target'
attribute of the respective window). Note that the rules file is
persistent as it resides in the recall_fs. So the system remembers the
window configuration across reboots.

> 3. During the discussion, I completely forgot about screen rotation on
> tablets (not necessarily auto-detecting).  Given the current design, is
> that a difficult item?

We should certainly aim for it. But I cannot yet predict the best approach.