Roadmap 2024

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Jan 4 13:52:47 CET 2024

Hi Sebastian,

thank you for the elaborate reply, which is perfectly aligned with my
perspective. I'm especially grateful that you have taken the TCP/IP line
of work under your wings and wholly anticipate your goal to retire the
last traces of the legacy-DDE-Linux as soon as possible.

>> Plans for 2024
>
> For this year I would like to finally get rid of all the legacy
> DDE-Linux projects. I would also like to update Mesa to the current
> version by using Goa. This requires Meson support in Goa, which might
> become my Hack'n'Hike project 2024.
>
> Since I use an Alder Lake laptop now, 3D acceleration and proper audio
> driver support would be a nice to have for me personally. If there is
> spare time, I want to have a look into audio re-sampling, since this
> becomes an increasingly pressing matter.

Speaking of audio, I forget to mention that I'm currently right in the
middle of designing and implementing new infrastructure (session
interfaces, mixer) for audio on Genode. I have three goals: First, to
make audio drivers pluggable (following the tracks of our pluggible
network/display/input drivers). Second, to make audio routing flexible
(similar to how the NIC router gives us so much flexibility for network
traffic). And third, to overcome the uncertainties of the current
solution with respect to drifting/buffering/latency/jitter. To solve the
latter, I'm applying an adaptive re-sampling approach that gives audio
producers and consumers the freedom to use sample rates they see fit.
Hence, the re-sampling is part of the my current work. I'm going for
b-spline-based interpolation (in the time domain) in my first take. But
this is of course not set in stone.

I plan to have the first version of the new infrastructure ready for
Genode 24.02. Should it be received favorable, maybe we can jointly
aspire converting the existing audio drivers and applications (i.e.,
vfs_oss) until version 24.05?