Roadmap 2024

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Tue Jan 2 14:11:03 CET 2024

Hello everyone,

here is my input to the roadmap discussion:

First of all, many thanks to all of you, who have put so much
energy into Genode in 2023, making it a pleasure to use it on a
daily basis!

On Thu, Dec 21, 2023 at 04:57:48PM +0100, Norman Feske wrote:

> Plans for 2024

I share the ambition of "Sculpt OS usability". Personally, I would
love to have an e-mail client that can be used natively on Genode. I
know, we had this on the Roadmap already years ago, and it didn't went
out, because of limited time resources. But nowadays we have
hopefully more efficient approaches to simplify the porting of mail
handling tools and libraries, due to the recent improvements of Goa.
More lighweight toolkits, like LVGL, might help to build a surrounding
GUI.

Beside any visible improvements, I see some leftover works like the
USB session re-design, or HW kernel optimizations (e.g. scheduling) to
use it as default kernel in Sculpt OS.
Moreover, we should keep the Linux driver ports up-to-date. Thereby, I
would like to re-think the IRQ session to support more than one MSI/MSI-x
interrupt per device, which will help to use certain drivers/devices
the way they are used in their original context.

Although, the ARM virtualization is more-or-less feature complete,
we're lacking integration to easily bootstrap and use a Linux guest OS.

There exists a Linux audio driver port for newer Intel cards outside
the Genode mainline repository. It contains support for SoF (Sound
Open Firmware), which is used in i.MX 8MQ's sound landscape too (to my
knowledge). I would appreciate to enable sound for MNT Reform 2 using
this driver approach, when the before mentioned driver becomes mainline.

This is a longer wishlist, and potentially I won't be able to address
all these points personally, but maybe we find synergies together ;-).

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Kalkowski