Beginner questions: Seoul, Rust, DDE, and system composition

Zachary Zollers zgzollers at ksu.edu
Thu Sep 14 22:59:08 CEST 2023

Hi all,

My name is Zach. I am a student at Kansas State University doing research with Dr. Eugene Vasserman (Cc). I have been lurking in the mailing list for some time now and I thought I'd introduce myself and ask a couple of "beginner questions" that I have after reading the Foundations book and playing with Sculpt.

[1] Is Seoul still viable for virtualization on Genode? If so, where can I find the documentation for writing a VM configuration? I am partial to Seoul over VirtualBox due to its smaller codebase. I checked the genode-world repository and the original (outdated) source repository, but was unable to find anything.

[2] What is the state of rust support for Genode? I have seen a few mentions of it in release notes. Can I make base API calls from rust (e.g., requesting sessions, creating child components, etc.), or is it similar to running applications with the POSIX compatibility layer?

[3] Which system calls are provided by the Linux driver environment? Is it viable for running arbitrary Linux applications/services (e.g., a container runtime)?

[4] What is the best way to determine the dependencies of a component? How does the Sculpt visual composition system determine which sessions are required? When trying to run a complex component (e.g., a VMM) I often find myself doing a lot of trial and error with including libraries and starting necessary dependencies in the run script. Is there a better, or more consistent, way to determine dependencies?

Apologies if any of these questions have obvious answers. If this is the case, I would appreciate a pointer to relevant documentation so I can investigate further.

Thanks in advance,
Zach