Announcement: Sculpt OS 23.10 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Mon Oct 30 13:10:11 CET 2023

Hello Sagar,

thank you for the enthusiastic feedback!

> Sometimes, I guess where heating was high, screen automatically went
> black. Does the screen itself use such amounts of power?
The screen goes black after one minute of inactivity to save power.
Press the power button to re-enable it. Note that it can take two
seconds until the GUI re-appears (startup time of the display and
touchscreen drivers).

> I would love to switch to using Genode full time if it gets, a
> browser, a window manager, xmpp client and mail client which I can
> safely start and shut down.
You may find the window-manager preset helpful, which is offered by
Sculpt since version 23.04.

Once you have selected your Sculpt partition and are connected to the
network, a "System" menu should appear at the upper-left screen corner.
There you can load the preset "window manager", which entails all
components needed for a simple desktop: a window manager, backdrop, and
a system shell. That's a suitable starting point for adding further
applications like the Falkon web browser (installable from cproc's depot).