Announcement: Sculpt OS 23.10 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Oct 26 13:00:35 CEST 2023

Hello,

it is my pleasure to announce the release of Sculpt OS 23.10:

   https://genode.org/news/sculpt-os-release-23.10

The highlight is certainly the new ability to fine-tune physical CPU
parameters via an interactive user interface, which is especially useful
on modern laptops that offer plenty of monitoring and power-management
options. As described in the following article, one can watch CPU
temperatures and frequencies, dynamically adjust performance profiles,
unveil the differences between Intel's P&E cores, and even observe the
power draw.

   https://genodians.org/alex-ab/2023-10-23-msr

Besides this most prominent feature, the new version benefits from
Genode's advances during the past 6 months. E.g., the former iPXE-based
network driver has been replaced by a current Linux driver, the entire
software is now consistently built with GCC 12.3, and Sculpt's runtime
is now driven by the new monitor runtime paving the ground towards
on-target debugging.

We made the new version readily available for both PCs and the
PinePhone. The latter benefits from several usability improvements such
as a screensaver conserving battery power, various UI tweaks, and
functional volume buttons.

Users of Sculpt 23.04 can switch to the new version via the built-in
system-update dialog. New users can find ready-to-use disk images at the
Sculpt download page.

   https://genode.org/download/sculpt

Up-to-date Sculpt documentation is available on our website and as PDF.

   https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-23-10
   https://genode.org/documentation/sculpt-23-10.pdf

As you may have noticed on the mailing list, Sculpt 23.10 is the first
version that was preceded by several release candidates (RC). Thanks to
everyone who gave the RCs a spin. The official release greatly benefited
from your feedback!