PinePhone First Impressions & Questions

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Sat Mar 11 00:38:00 CET 2023

Hello All,

I have had my PinePhone running the first Sculpt image for a couple of
weeks now.  I don't have anything interesting to report beyond what
others have said - the system boots in about 5 seconds, the Leitzentrale
UI is intuitive and smooth, the battery indicator isn't very accurate, etc.

Unfortunately, I also have a problem that seems to be common for various
reasons - I don't have data connectivity.  In my case, it's because I
have a talk/text-only plan, but I can't test the phone functions either
because my SIM card (T-Mobile USA) is not recognized.

I am itching to try the various presets, and was wondering if any of the
following ideas would be feasible:

- Providing an on-disk depot for the presets.  (Excluding the web
browser, which would be useless without connectivity anyway, seems like
it would keep the size down.)

- Letting us know when the WiFi or wired LAN drivers are ready for
testing, even if it's before the next release.  (I have the USB network
dongle, so either one would work for me.)

I am currently having trouble building the PinePhone Sculpt image from
source (which I will address in a separate message), but I will be happy
to do custom builds if necessary (including for SIM debugging).  It just
looks like too much fun to wait! ;^)

  Thanks!
--
   John J. Karcher