Customizing the Goa run-stage

Pirmin Duss pirmin.duss at gapfruit.com
Mon Jun 26 13:55:08 CEST 2023

Hello Johannes

Thanks for your quick response.

On 6/23/23 13:44, Johannes Schlatow wrote:
> Currently, the label of the required nic service determines the name of
> the tap device in Goa. I understand that, to make archives deployable,
> one would not want to have a "tapX" label in the runtime. What about
> we'd be prefixing the specified label by a "tap_" e.g. instead? This way
> you could have a "eth0" label, which will get mapped to a "tap_eth0"
> device by Goa.

This is a very neat idea, which maps what I had in mind very well. Shall
I create an issue for this?

I did create https://github.com/genodelabs/goa/issues/57.

> The major difference between Goa and hardware deployments is that the
> latter usually have one or multiple managed Nic router(s) while Goa has
> no way to customize the Nic router config (yet). The current workaround
> has been to create an pkg archive in Goa that is deployable on hardware
> and add another Goa project that wraps a Nic router with a custom config
> around the other pkg. You can find an example of this in my goa-pkgs
> repo [1] where I have a vnc_server and a test-vnc_server project.
>
> I see that, an some point, we probably need to integrate a means to
> provide Goa with a custom Nic router config. Maybe this could be done by
> adding a 'nic_router.config' file into the project directory. If this
> file is present, Goa would take its content as config for the Nic router
> instead of the default config. However, what shall happen if there are
> multiple Nic router instances?
I like that the user can provide a customized 'nit_router.config' if
needed. For multiple NIC interfaces, one could use
'nic_router_<label>.config'. I would use 'nic_router.config' only for
the case when only one `<nic/>` is required.

I only fear that the project directory could get cluttered with
additional files. What do you think abort creating a directory that
contains the files to customize the run-stage? With this, one could also
take the external ROMs from there.

Regards,
Pirmin