fail to create sculpt boot image and failed to boot prebuilt image

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Fri Jun 2 16:34:43 CEST 2023

Hello,

On 01.06.23 15:43, David Pfeiffer wrote:
> Following the guide I get an error at step 7 of the guide:
> <https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-23-04#Building_the_boot_image>
>
> 7.       Create the Sculpt boot image (defined by the run script at /repos/gems/run/sculpt.run/)
>
> make -C build/x86_64 run/sculpt KERNEL=nova BOARD=pc DEPOT=omit
>

> The error is:
>
> make: Entering directory '/home/dave/Downloads/genode/build/x86_64'
> /bin/bash: line 1: /usr/local/genode/tool/21.05/bin/genode-x86-g++: No such file or directory
> dirname: missing operand
> Try 'dirname --help' for more information./bin/bash: /home/dave/Downloads/genode/tool/run/run: /usr/bin/expect: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
> make: *** [Makefile:431: run/sculpt] Error 126
> make: Leaving directory '/home/dave/Downloads/genode/build/x86_64'

you seem to over-read the following of the guide:

"The following steps assume that you have the Genode tool chain installed on a GNU/Linux system. For reference, Ubuntu LTS is known to work well. If you don't know your way around Genode's source tree yet, please consider the "Getting started" section of the Genode Foundations book that is available as a free download at https://genode.org."

So, you seem not to setup the Genode tool chain and additional necessary tools. If one follow the description, you get to
https://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations/23.05/getting_started/index.html

> So then I simply tried to boot from a prebuilt image and upon booting I couldn't get past the Genode boot.png
>
> I'm running on a Lenovo YOGA intel i7-8565U, building on Void Linux.

it seems to be an very early boot issue, which will not be easy to debug remotely (- to get an idea follow the thread of [0] for).

In principle, your notebook should be fine. So, either try another machine if you just want to get an idea of Sculpt, or we may try different
things along the lines of [0], if you are interested.

Cheers,

Alex.

[0] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2023-February/008492.html

> Any help is much appreciated.