vbox6-block: no policy defined for label 'vbox6-block -> block0'

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Tue Jan 31 09:18:54 CET 2023

Hi Dan,

On 1/31/23 7:38 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 2:08 PM Alexander Boettcher
> <alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> In your vbox6 configuration file, you have to use one VMDK per Block device. So in your case it would be 3 different VMDK files.
>
> Really? https://genodians.org/jschlatow/2021-04-23-start-existing-linux-from-sculpt
> seems to show creating one .vmdk file for 3 partitions:
>
> VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename linux.vmdk \
>      -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 1,4,5 -relative

Oh nice, cool, did not know !

> IIUC, the launcher pkg attribute refers to a path inside depot (though
> I wonder how the depot root is found...). Inside the pkg, we expect to
> find a runtime file, where the <requires> things seem to guide the
> components gui into prompting for something... services?
> What consumes a <runtime/>?

See the depot_deploy and depot_query tools, at [0] you can read about
the general workflow.

[0]
https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/18.02#Installation___update

> The launcher <config> is more straightforward; it's the config for the
> init binary, documented in the book.
> https://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations/22.05/system_configuration/The_init_component.html
> and in https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/os/src/init/config.xsd
>
> The <content> seems to be input to a dynamic linker; I'm fuzzy on the
> details, but so far that part "just works".
> Then back to the <launcher>, its <route> info seems to be matched with
> the <requires> part of the <runtime>.

> What's the binary of the tool for constructing the components graph?

Look into the sculpt manager (repos/gems/src/app/sculpt_manager) and
look for graph. It generates a report which is consumed by a menu_view,
which does the actual graphical presentation.

Cheers,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs