vbox6-block: no policy defined for label 'vbox6-block -> block0'

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Mon Jan 30 21:08:25 CET 2023

Hi Dan,

On 30.01.23 16:09, Dan Connolly wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 2:52 AM Alexander Boettcher
> <alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com> wrote:
>> You may rewrite the label to your actual Block provider, e.g. as an example (taken from my setup):

> Yes, my config is like that (with 1 rather than 7), and now that I
> restart this morning, I don't see the "no policy" warning. I suppose I
> wasn't careful to isolate the problem when I reported it.
>
> I'd like to use <service name="Block" label="boot"> and likewise
> "root", "home" and "shared" for the block service labels (keeping the
> child labels as partition numbers "1", "4", "5", "6"), but I can't get
> that to work. Are the names constrained to "block0", "block1" etc.? If
> so, by which part of the system?

The names can be chosen freely, but you have to be consistent at all places.

In your vbox6 configuration file, you have to use one VMDK per Block device. So in your case it would be 3 different VMDK files.
Each VMDK file contains a /dev/XXX device, where XXX can be chosen freely by you. Additionally, the size must _exactly_ match your target partition/block device (otherwise corruption ahead).
Your /dev/XXX must be used in the runtime file of the package at the vfs component (name="XXX"). There you can start re-labeling as you desire (label=root/home/shared), but you must do it consistently. In the runtime file there are 3 places, at the head, at the vfs node and in the routing rules (end of file). According to your posted link, at the end you seem not tried to modify the routing rules for block0/block1 (at least there are no out-commented lines by you as on the other 2 places), maybe you missed that ?

Hope it helps,

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs