scroll down the screen

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Sat Jan 21 11:58:07 CET 2023

Hi Johnny,

On 1/21/23 00:53, Johnny Nunez wrote:
> I am still struggling with the gui here , I can’t see what you reply
> back, can you please try again , thank you

whereas a virtual machine is fine to get a first impression, Sculpt is
really meant to run on actual hardware. The official recommendation [1]
is using a full-HD display (1920x1080). I think that starting a VM
within Sculpt within a virtual machine (nested virtualization) won't
work well anyway. I have never tried.

That said, you can still give the following hint a try: When starting
Sculpt in a VM, Sculpt will most likely drive the display with the VESA
driver, which supports changing the screen resolution.

- Navigate to the config file system in the "Storage" tab.

- Select the fb_drv file and press the "Edit" button.

- Change the 'width' and 'height' attributes
   from: width="1024" height="768"
   to:   width="1280" height="1024"

- Save file file (using the save button or by pressing control-s).

Now the screen mode should switch to a higher resolution, side-stepping
your scrolling issue.

[1]
https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-22-10#Hardware_requirements_and_preparations

BTW, the scrolling issue was raised before [2] but remained unaddressed
so far. In practice, when seriously using Sculpt, one finds that editing
the deploy config by hand is easy enough and more flexible. The only
component-graph feature I use regularly is the '+' menu. So the current
limitations of the graph UI were easy to ignore. ;-)

[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/3771