Roadmap 2023

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Jan 19 10:46:35 CET 2023

Hello Jean-Adrien,

> Oh, I am sorry I did not mean to replace C++ entirely :)
> I was thinking of working on a secondary kernel, like base-hw, but fully
> implemented with Zig instead of C++. The direction I would take is the same
> as spunky, replacing part of base-hw at first. Plus, Zig claims great interoperability
> with C, then by extension to C++ via C.

thanks for clarifying. Now I got it, and can very much relate to your
ambition. With language interoperability solved, the kernel is indeed a
compelling playground for testing the waters with a new language that
way. It solves interesting problems and its complexity is still
manageable by a single person, at least when targeting one specific
hardware platform.

I hope that my aspiration to further simplify the base system (in
particular reducing the reliance on C++ complexities) over the year will
make your life easier.