Roadmap 2023

Pirmin Duss pirmin at trimpim.ch
Sat Jan 14 23:07:02 CET 2023

Hello Norman

Sorry for the delay in my response.

For my work I'm currently debugging a very strange problem when
upgrading to Genode 22.11 together with Jean-Adrien.

On 1/12/23 13:57, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hi Pirmin,
>> Two points that Alex brought up caught my attention:
>>   - Extended multi monitor
>>   - support for AMD GPUs. This I have on my task list for some time
>> now,     unfortunately I never had time to do it.
>
> The repeated interest in AMD during the road-map discussion cannot be
> dismissed. Even though I expressed my hesitation in my reply to Alex
> [1], I sense that the community interest in AMD deserves a mention on
> the official road map. My concerns can be addressed by presenting the
> topic as exploratory work.
>
> [1] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2023-January/008218.html

I understand your hesitation to make any commitments to this. It may
cause a lot of maintenance in the long run. With a small team one has to
plan personal resources carefully.

>> An other point I'm interested in, is Genode on the PinePhone (mine
>> should arrive on Friday). One thing I would want to use this for, is
>> thedering in locations with no WiFi but LTE coverage. This can
>> currently be done via the LAN port of the dock I think.
>
> It is so nice to see your interest in the PinePhone topic as well. For
> your specifc use case, the Wifi driver would be the most obvious piece
> missing so far.

For testing purposes I already have a port of QMI (I could even do basic
stuff with `qmicli`). If this may help in this regard I will un-burrow
it and provide to upstream.

[...]

>> Second, now that support to port libraries with Goa is nearing
>> completion, I would like to use this to port neovim to Genode. Not
>> that vim isn't enough to edit files. I would like to test out, what
>> can be achieved that way.
>
> I'm grateful for your intensive work on this topic. Even though I have
> not yet reviewed your latest version, I sense that the library support
> has matured enough to be upstreamed soon. Do you think that we should
> aspire featuring it it in Genode 23.02? If so, I'd commit to focus on
> the review/finishing touches during February.

I would like to have it upstream by 23.02 if this is possible.

Regards Pirmin